Friday, July 3, 2009

A Casual Resume

Hello! My name is Lara Taylor and I am a freelance writer and graphic designer.

I have basically been creating since I was a small child and am interested in drawing, painting and even a little sculpting. I enjoy using acrylics, watercolors, colored pencil, charcoal and pastels.

I moved into logo design at the tender age of 19 when the child care I was working for discovered I could draw. I designed the logo for the child care and later, a logo for the director's husband's lawncutting business.

Next, I helped the college library I worked for to design interior signage and flyers. Later, the retail store I worked for had me designing flyers, sales ads with coupons within the parameters dictated by a magazine, post cards used for mass mailings, interior signage, calendars and even business forms specific to that retail store's needs, including spreadsheets with working formulas and clipart.

Since being in direct sales, I have of course done all my own flyers, mass mailing letters, post cards, business cards, letterhead, labels for various uses (such as some with a logo and tagline for use on gift tags), brochures, newsletters and more. I currently do all of that for my direct sales Director and her offspring Director. I have also translated mass mailing letters into more modern and eye-catching flyer-type letters, instruction sheets for customers with attractive clip-art and anything else they require to help advertise and organize their businesses. For the offspring director, I also re-vamped and maintain her monthly newsletter.

I have also worked for family members starting businesses by helping to come up with business names, logos, taglines, business card designs, pricing signs, and catalogs.

At home, I have put my creativity and organizational urges to good use, creating calendars that consolidate schedules, creating invitations both by hand (a collage-type) and by computer, and CD labels. Additionally, I have created frame-worthy artwork for my home and the homes of my family members.

In the way of writing, I have been slowly but surely writing a science fiction novel. I joined Helium.com and have written a number of articles and submitted previously written poetry. I enjoy writing humorous stories and engaging in debates. I feel comfortable with both education and medical terminology. I am a stickler for spelling and word flow. I am confident in my abilities to proofread and copyedit.

I have a dual college degree in Elementary Education and Liberal Studies, graduating magna cum laude with a 3.89 gpa. I have an Associate's Degree in General Studies. I have joked I have taken at least 3 (or more!!) classes in every subject. I am particularly interested in history, women's history, ancient world, health, politics, education, women's issues/feminism, motherhood and domestic issues. But I am such a such a perfectionist, anything I can proofread and correct, I am on it!

My goal here is just to let people know what I can do, to have a place for potential clients to find out about me, my background, and my abilities. Additionally, I will gladly promote my clients by broadcasting current projects, websites and showcasing samples.

Keep checking back for samples of my graphic design portfolio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be a dear: don't spam me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...