Sunday, July 5, 2009

Writing Sample: Novel Excerpt: Fantasy

"Earth
Dream Journal Entry
Earth time: June 12, 2006

Some part of me knows I am asleep and yet I am still overwhelmed by fear. That night again, in front of my eyes, and this is all I can see: Lily smiling, orange firelight casting a sickly glow on her face, on the snow on the ground. The falling snowflakes, the fire, Lily, they are all silent. The only noise I can hear is the pounding in my ears.

I brace myself for what I know is coming.

I feel I am her, and yet myself at the same time. She leans in close to me, her features becoming distorted like a funhouse mirror reflection... her voice low, garbled and frightening. I cannot understand her and I jerk away from her, feeling guilty at being scared of one of my best friends.
And then, my perspective changes, expands, and Lily comes into normal view, standing before a fire. I see movement out of the corner of my eye, my head swivels unwillingly, knowing what is coming, I am looking expectantly. I see a shadow of a man emerging from the woods, a teeth-baring smile upon his face, his eyes lit up with an unholy fire.

Shard, his presence takes over my dream, he is all I see; pointed teeth, hair and eyes the color of blood, his skin pasty white, although I know that is not how he really looks. Some part of me is whispering, he is a Half-Man, he does not know what he is doing. But I don't care. I can see what he is doing. I unable to forget...."

For this novel excerpt in its entirety, please click here.

This novel excerpt is currently ranked #4 out of 389 excerpts under this title by my writing peers.

[Please note: This excerpt is over a year old and no longer resembles what has actually ended up in my manuscript! My hope is that the way in which I have transformed and used this section is better! ]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be a dear: don't spam me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...